Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Who do you Root for? Part 2

by Tim Wendel

Kevin Collins, a good friend of Buffalo, Home of the Braves, has come up with an intriguing answer to my question about what current NBA team to root for? Kevin reminds me that in light of the bizarre franchise swap of 1978, “the old Braves are the new Celtics and the old Celtics are the Clippers.”

So does that mean we can revel in winning last year’s title? Probably not. I don’t any parade preparing to head down Main Street. Still, I like the idea of the Braves living on as a championship club. Perhaps that’s what has always bothered me about the Braves’ institutional memory and storied history simply being passed off on the woebegone Clippers.

At their best the Braves had plenty of personality and top-flight talent. Already I can hear the mantra in my head – McAdoo, Ramsay, Ernie D., Randy, etc., etc., etc. As we all know, with a bit of luck and another wide body under the boards (where for art thou, Moses Malone?) the Braves could have been champions in their own right, in their own time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I honestly don't remember seeing anything connecting the Celtics to the Braves. Could somebody shed some light on this for me?

Unknown said...

are we speaking about the ownership trade when the Braves became the Clippers? If that is the case, the only thing that changed was the owner. We have just about no connection to the championships of the Boston Celtics